Group Project Proposal (Engineering)
SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY,
INVESTIGATIVE SKILLS IN SCIENCE
Names: Russell, Danial, Christian, Ai’man
Group Reference: Group E
1. Indicate the type of research that you are adopting:
[ ] Test a hypothesis: Hypothesis-driven research
e.g. Investigation of the antibacterial effect of chrysanthemum
[ ] Measure a value: Experimental research (I)
e.g. Determination of the mass of Jupiter using planetary photography
[ ] Measure a function or relationship: Experimental research (II)
e.g. Investigation of the effect of temperature on the growth of crystals
[ ] Construct a model: Theoretical sciences and applied mathematics
e.g. Modeling of the cooling curve of naphthalene
[ ] Observational and exploratory research
e.g. Investigation of the soil quality in School of Science and Technology, Singapore
[ ✓ ] Improve a product or process: Industrial and applied research
e.g. Development of a SMART and GREEN energy system for households
2. Write a research proposal of your interested topic in the following format:
Title: The Development Of An Amphibious Vehicle
A. Problem being addressed
The development in improving the current high expense hovercraft with a remote controlled UWV hovercraft which is low cost and provides intel and needed pictures and surveillance from covered ground where satellites would have no use.
During coastal landings, standard military ships will have difficulty during landings as mangrove roots obstructs the hull of a standard military ships.
Sand banks further obstruct the ships landings as when hulls get stuck in sand banks, the soldiers on the ships will become static targets for the enemy and will get killed.
It also serves a great purpose in search and rescue missions due to its fast mobility on water. This enables search rescue teams to move quickly and rescue efficiently as being on the ground level enables them to look under debris to find survivors as opposed to helicopters from a bird’s-eye view which cannot see under collapsed roofs or debris.
The primary goal would be to build a working amphibious vehicle that will be able to be accurately remotely controlled by a control panel, which in this case, a smartphone through Annikken Andee.
Some specifications of the end product are:
- It must be capable of moving at least 5 meters on land in 15 seconds
- To be able to move in water for at least 2 meters
- Be able to move and float on water
C. Description in detail of method or procedures (The following are important and key items that should be included when formulating ANY AND ALL research plans.)
• Procedures: Detail all procedures and experimental design to be used for data collection
Research on current Hovercraft designs ( 1 July - 14 July ) :
We are to research and find hovercraft designs to follow and guide us through with simple instructions and clear steps to build the hovercraft
Taken from: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-RC-Hovercraft/
The design is simplistic and the cost of most of the resources needed is cheap.There is also a full set of instructions on how to build it and how to calibrate the electronics.
The design is nice but a lot of specific items are needed and most of them are not cost-effective.
Taken from: http://letsmakerobots.com/node/33485
This design is not only cost effective, but they have also given us the codings.
Taken from: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-RC-Hovercraft/
Our reasons for choosing this design as the steps are clear and easy to follow. Furthermore, a full list of equipment is provided which will helps us greatly in finding material cost and places to buy such equipment.
However we will modify some aspects of the design to compensate for the extra weight of more batteries that we will be adding.
2. Listing of Equipment ( 1 July - 14 July )
To find and compile a list of equipment with as much accuracy as possible.
- 2mm Gold Connectors for connecting motors to ESC's
- NTM Prop Drive 28-26 1350KV / 310W
- 2x 3mm Heat shrink tube (one black and one red)
- Emax BL 2215/25 950KV Outrunner Brushless Motor
- 2x Silicone wires (one black and one red)
- Propeller: SF E-Prop 10x3.8 / 254x96.5mm w/ Adapters Black (5pcs/set)
- 4x LiPo Battery: Turnigy 2200mAh 3S (11.1v) 25C Lipo Pack
- ESC: 2 x HOBBYKING SKYWALKER 20A ESC
- Connectors: XT60
- 2x Styrofoam board(120cm x 60cm)
- Polyethylene lightweight tarp
- BSI Super Gold Plus glue (CA Glue)
-Arduino Black (Leonardo Model)
-Annikken Andee (IOS)
-USB Cable (USB to USB-mini)
-A medium thick piece of balsa wood
3. Purchase of Equipment ( 15 July - 20 July )
Venues of equipment purchasing:
Sim lim 1 Rochor Canal Road
#02-60, Sim Lim Square
150 South Bridge Road,
#B1-23 Fook Hai Building
Blk 451 Clementi Ave 3
#03-307 (Clementi MRT)
Tel: +65 6777 0353 / Fax: +65 6777 0378
• Risk and Safety: Identify any potential risks and safety precautions to be taken.
1. Faulty equipments may start fires and injure team members
2. Short circuits may injure / electrocute team members
3. Operating the propellers may injure team members
1. Use gloves when handling electronic equipments
2. Always handle sharp objects with care
3. Do not play around the with materials
4. Use tools properly and not play around with them
• Data Analysis: Describe the procedures you will use to analyze the data/results that answer research questions or hypotheses
1. The ability to move on land
This will be tracked through the movement of the hovercraft beside a ruler to denote distance. A camera will be used to capture movement on video.
2. Speed of vehicle on land
A distance - time graph will be constructed through the use of the Tracker software installed in our hovercraft. The data retrieved when doing test runs on land will show the acceleration and speed of the hovercraft.
3. Speed of vehicle on water
A distance - time graph will be constructed through the use of the Tracker software installed in our hovercraft. The data retrieved when doing test runs on water will show the acceleration and speed of the hovercraft as opposed to test runs on land.
4. The ability to float on water
This will be ascertained through visual aide with the help of a video camera to show how effective the vehicle is on water. A success would be the vehicle floating and not sinking.
D. Bibliography: List at least five (5) major references (e.g. science journal articles, books, internet sites) from your literature review. If you plan to use vertebrate animals, one of these references must be an animal care reference. Choose the APA format and use it consistently to reference the literature used in the research plan. List your entries in alphabetical order.
1. Hovercraft Effective In River Rescue. (1996, January 18). Hartford Courant. Retrieved July 9, 2014, from http://articles.courant.com/1996-01-18/news/9601180326_1_ice-floe-hovercraft-ice-jams
2. How to make a RC Hovercraft. (n.d.). Instructables.com. Retrieved July 12, 2014, from http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-RC-Hovercraft/
3. Radio Controlled Griffon 2000TDX Hovercraft. (n.d). hovercraftmodels.com. Retrieved July 12, 2014, from http://www.hovercraftmodels.com/pdf_man/Griffon2000TDX%20Manual%20rel-01OL.pdf
4. A Brief History Of Amphibious Vehicles. (n.d.). A Brief History Of Amphibious Vehicles. Retrieved July 13, 2014, from http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/history_amphibians.htm
5. How does a hovercraft work?. (n.d.). Welcome to XINVENTIONS.COM, your resource for hovercraft plans, pneumatic launchers, spy stuff, and more.. Retrieved July 13, 2014, from http://www.xinventions.com/main/hovercrafts/work.htm